Friday, February 8, 2008

God Loves A Plan

You may recall the plan to secure an oncologist closer to home where I can get the treatment I need as directed by My Oncologist. I recently began the execution portion of said plan. Then it imploded. The chosen physician decided that he does not agree with My Oncologist on the course of my care and refuses to implement his treatment plan. This despite the fact that he says he does this type of thing all the time and would be happy to work with My Oncologist. I am angry, frustrated and deflated.

The good news is My Oncologist quickly suggest a new physician-identifying strategy. This will get resolved. Just as not as quickly as I would like. Where have I heard that song before?

In other medically relevent news, my counts dipped a bit after last week's treatment, as expected, from 100 to 85. We'll see next week how they do with bouncing back. In the good news column: The thrush is nearly gone and my blood pressure appears to be returning to a more normal range.

Prednisone's biggest personal offense, extra weight, continues to plague me. I know, I know, I am obsessed with the weight thing. But, I can't help it! Twenty more mg to go and once I'm off, I can see what the true damage is.

Oh, and while I'm on the topic of weight, here's a tip I could have used about two months ago: Snacking on nuts such as raw almonds and cashews is good for you only if you ingest obscenely minute portions. Like less than one handful a day portions. Like this:


I'm sorry, that is not a snack. It's a taunt. I had been inhaling about five or six and quite possibly more handfuls each day for the past two months. Had I known this before, I might as well have been enjoying other, more satisfying forms of snackage.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see an update!

MWAH!

Someone in Frederick, MD

Anonymous said...

Glad the thrush monster is abating. Tracy, I, too learned the shocking truth when someone brought "100 calorie snack packs" of almonds to a meeting. I realized that I was eating about 5x that much when I snacked. Oink

Anonymous said...

I'm an almond offender too! (Along with cashews.) However, I was aware of the proper apportionment. I just chose to ignore it. :-)

I'm sorry the other doctor turned out to be a tool!

-Katie